Thursday, July 25, 2013

Sweet Granny Jo!

In memory of my great-grandmother, Josephine Doss (or as we called her Granny Jo, or Grandma Doss), I would like to share a story.  That way, many years from now I can recall the story and share the story with Harper.

Harper and Granny Jo!

Look at that joy in Grandma's eyes! : )
The story started at Harper's first birthday (which Granny was not able to attend).  Every mother has experienced a birthday party, it is chaos.  You're trying to make sure you talk to everyone, make sure everyone has food/drinks, and the best part (especially with a toddler) are presents!  As we are sifting through all of the presents, we get to a bag--at this point, I'm not sure whose presents are whose--inside the bag was a coloring book.  Sure, all toddlers love coloring books and so I think it's great.  I open it up to do a quick browse of the pictures and I realize that all of the pages are colored.  Of course I'm thinking, "this is misplaced, someone put this in here by accident."  So I check the bag, and it's from my Dad (Harper's Poppy!).  I quietly ask him..."Did you mean to put this in here?" as I didn't want to embarrass him in front of everyone, because people are human and they make mistakes.  He was not shy in telling me, and the whole room, that this coloring book was colored by my sweet Grandma Jo.  All of Granny's grandchildren are special to her, but Dad has always told me so many stories about helping in her barn, and helping in the garden.  He really, really loves his Grandma Jo!  This particular present meant so, so much to him.

You know after a party, everyone leaves and you're sorting through the toys you're going to put on the shelf and save for later because who can really play with all those toys at one time.  (What mother wants to pick up all those toys at one time?! Haha.)  We get to the coloring book again, except this time it had fallen on the floor and it was opened to a particular page.  I got that weird feeling I get when I feel like God is trying to tell me something.  So, I snap a picture of the page for safe keeping.  I then decided to store the coloring book in the box that I have started for all of Harper's meaningful things--her first outfit, sonograms, cards, etc. 

Grandma Doss passed away yesterday.  She was 102, and beautiful as ever.  Truth be told, I didn't see her as much as I should have.  I think we all are guilty of that to some degree.  After her passing, I decided to open the box and share the colored pictures with Harper.  The pictures do it no justice, because she used glittered crayons!  She was very good at coloring.  When I opened the box, for whatever reason, the coloring book was opened to the exact same picture as before.  It gave me a peaceful feeling.  I may not have been the closest to her, but she did mean a lot to my Dad and maybe she's trying to tell me something...I just haven't figured it out yet.

Now I'll share the picture with you.

I can't explain it...but, that has to be God talking.
I experienced chills back in May, and I experienced chills yesterday.  I hope one day Harper understands the significance of this coloring book.  I feel grateful that Dad wanted to share this with Harper; he was eager for me to open is bag, and I guess this is why.  I haven't shared this story with him, but I'm sharing it now...

God is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment