Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Admitting Defeat

There are moments, as a parent, where we have these really great ideas.  "I'm going to put this cute bow in her hair," "Aww, I'll put this cute outfit on her," or my latest, "I think I will paint her toenails for the beach."

Harper doesn't mind pig tails, she doesn't mind a twist or a braid (when I can keep her still for a braid).  She really is girly in that she doesn't mind a cute do.  Every time I try a super cute bow, she pretends she likes it for a little while, and then right before we get where we are going, she pulls it out and her hair is a mess.

I don't always dress Harper up when we go out, and I sometimes even leave her in her pajamas.  In those moments that I just want her to look cute, she pees through her diaper.  It never fails!  Her cute outfits last, tops, 30 minutes...maybe. Well, sometimes it lasts but most of the time it doesn't.

Last night I got the bright idea to try and paint her toenails.  (What girl doesn't like a good pedicure before the beach?) Though there have been failed attempts in the past, I felt like this time would be different because I came prepared with methods of distraction and I even practiced my speed painting beforehand.  I pictured cute little hot pink piggies.  Instead, I got hot pink feet, arms, hair, and basically, everything that wasn't her toenails.

There are moments in time where I get upset when she takes her bow out, or pees through her clothes.  I don't really know why...I guess just that expectation that she understands she looks stinking adorable.  However, I guess the one thing all parents learn is that there are sometimes you really just have to admit defeat.

Last night I was defeated by my toddler and hot pink nail polish.  Luckily for me, it came out in the bath.  I didn't get a picture, sadly.  I was too busy trying to not end up with pink nail polish on my couch, carpet and anything else she thought it would be funny to try and spread the pink nail polish to.

14 month old girls just aren't concerned with having a cute pedi. ; ) Mommy just has to accept it... The good news is, we laughed and laughed.  I'm pretty sure she was laughing because she's really ticklish, and then she laughed because she managed to get away and thought it was funny when I tried to chase her.  Although I'm sad I couldn't even get ONE toe painted--we had such a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment